Sunday, July 20, 2014

#StupidCalf

Those that follow me on Twitter or are friends on Facebook have probably been annoyed with my posts about being injured over the last couple months.  For those that haven't, get ready to be annoyed. 7 weeks ago toward the end of my 10 miler, my left calf started feeling a little tight. Nothing bad, just some tightness. I didn't think too much of it until the tightness became more like cramping.  By the time I made it home, it was full fledged soreness to the point of inducing a limp.
    I have injured this calf before and normally 2-3 weeks off combined with some PT gets it back ready to run.  So I proceeded down that path again and gave it a spin after 3 weeks.  50 yards into the test run and it was a no-go as the stupid calf proceeded to tighten again.
    To make a long story a little shorter, I continued the PT, rode my road bike more and more, and took 2 more weeks off from running.  I am now 2 weeks into running short, slow runs, 3-4 times a week.  There is a little soreness but just reshaping the scar tissue.  I am filling in the off days with cycling still.  I am hopeful that I will be able to make it to Hood to Coast toward late August to run on one of the toe Nuun Hydration teams that are participating. I just need to be patient in my getting back into running and be smart.
    So, #StupidCalf has been my favorite hashtag for the last seven weeks.  I am hopeful that I can retire that hashtag in the very near future and replace it more and more with #NuunHTC!

No comments:

Post a Comment